Want to Feel Super? 10 Ways to Fight Stress
"It's TEST time baby, let’s go!" Remember the good old days when STRESSing out about taking your driver's test & passing parallel parking was the biggest obstacle you had to keep you worrying? Or maybe now you're the one in the passengers seat, holding on for dear life as your child learns to drive...stressed this may be your last moments alive. We've all been there. Unfortunately, this constant stress is killing you...
Constant physical, nutritional, or emotional stress over works the adrenals and keeps the body from healing and working optimally. Stress raises cortisol, creating inflammation, ligament laxity (lose joints), and break down in your body over time. Find ways each day to relax and have fun! What do you enjoy that brings you life? Continue reading for 10 steps to fight stress and feel super.
Bad Stress: giving something more significance than it really deserves. How will this affect me 5 years from now? If it isn’t going to affect me, than maybe it’s not that big a deal. Two sure ways to lead to a shorter life: chronic STRESS & poor nutrition. Do these two things & you will dramatically decrease the length & quality of your life!
Why is stress so bad & what can we do about it!?
Have you ever been really scared or frightened, like that one time you almost stepped on a rattle snake, or watching the Walking Dead late at night? How did you feel? If a huge grizzly bear walked into your room right now, how would you react? Your heart would start pounding & all the blood would race to your muscles so you can escape! Here are a few other things that happen when the body is stressed:
Increased cortisol (body’s natural anti-inflammatory)
Increased blood sugar (causes damage to nerves, blood vessels, and organs, & can lead to other serious conditions
Increased muscle breakdown & ligament laxity: the more stressed you are the faster your body breaks down, leading to pain.
Shuts down immune system: Remember that bear analogy? Body is only focused on fleeing the danger, not healing injuries or disease.
Increased acid pH
Increases Blood Pressure: This is especially bad if one already has high blood pressure
Burn Sugar instead of fat (for those trying to lose weight, not going to happen if your stressed)
So what does it mean if you live with chronic stress?
Long story short, the body is not designed to live under chronic stress! According to the Mayo Clinic stress increases:
Memory and concentration impairment
THREE TYPES OF STRESS:
Structural: physical injuries, car accidents, tweaked back, texting neck, etc.
Nutritional: Poor diet -processed sugar, GMOs, MSG, processed foods, etc.
Emotional: don’t like work, stressful relationship, poor self-image, etc.
What to do about it? 10 ways to fight stress
Get Adjusted: Get in to your local chiropractor regularly to get the spine checked. Take stress off your nervous system. Pain is the last thing the body tells you when there is a problem, so should you wait for pain & permanency to happen or should you get your spine checked? Chiropractic adjustments increase the body's ability to heal from the inside out.
Exercise Regularly: Exercise helps the body release endorphins (happy hormones), can help you lose weight, decrease your risk of heart attack & cancer, strengthens bones, improves mood/mental health, and increases your longevity of life.
Pro tip: try a 10 min walk on your lunch break. Start slow & build up your endurance
3. Eat Right: What you eat matters!! The top 15 most common diseases in US can be prevented with proper diet & nutrition:
Say No to: White flower, White sugar, & processed food
Say Yes to: organic vegetables, healthy fats & quality protein
4. Supplement: Even with even with a healthy diet, our soil tends to be nutrient depleted. I recommend most of my patients be on a few specific quality supplements: (as always check with your doctor first)
Omega 3 -prevents heart attack, stroke, cancer by 13 different mechanisms
Vit D -Here in the NW just about everyone is deficient
Probiotics -tablespoon of sauerkraut is cheap & great place to start to help boost immune system.
Daily multi vitamin (Catalyn from Standard Process is one of our favorites)
5. Adaptogens: These are natural herbs that support a stressed body. Here are a few examples- Asian Ginseng, Holy Basil, Milk Thistle, Aloe Vera, ashwagonadha. Consult your MD, Naturopath, or Chiropractor for specifics for you.
6. Meditate: Good emotional health is vital to living stress free life. “Research suggests that daily meditation may alter the brain’s neural pathways, making you more resilient to stress,” says psychologist Robbie Maller Hartman, PhD, a Chicago health and wellness coach. Meditating just a few min/day can help decease anxiety. For me that means spending time reading the Bible and praying.
7. Deep Breathing: “Deep breathing counters the effects of stress by slowing the heart rate and lowering blood pressure,” psychologist Judith Tutin, PhD, says. She's a certified life coach in Rome, GA. Take a 5 min break & focus on breathing. Inhale through the nose as you raise your arms above the head, hold a few seconds, and then exhale through mouth the mouth as you slowing lower the arms to your side. Feel your breath fill abdomen. Three deep breaths help circulate the entire lymphatic system.
8. What helps you relax & destress? Music, exercise, a power nap, a walk in nature, reading a good book? Think of your hobbies and spend some time enjoying that activity.
9. Reach Out: Your friend network is one of your best tools for handling stress. Talk to those who care most about you, preferably face to face, or at least on the phone. Share what's going on. This can be a great source of encouragement and wisdom.
10. Laugh: When is doubt, laughing is great medicine :) Find a funny movie or book and allow yourself to unwind and breath.
Bonus Hint: Lastly be sure to get quality sleep as well. The body heals, repairs, and detoxifies at night when you sleep.
Living with chronic stress is killing you. Whether you are Spiderman fighting crime or just trying to pass a driver's test, start decreasing your stress today! In order to de-stress, we need to take a whole body approach, looking at theRemember, you only have one body, so take care of it!
#healthyliving #livingwellfamilychiropractic #spiderman #stress #avengers